Friday, July 16, 2010

Halloumi with Beets and Kale



Eating from the garden.
You have no choice but to be creative. Just like one of those tv reality challenges...
Prepare a dish from your pantry + kale and beets. (Feel like increasing the level of difficulty? Do this when you are not home, ha.)

These are our first beets.
Our kale. Our basil, parsley. Gosh, I am starting to love summer.



Beet and Halloumi Plate

Halloumi cheese
Olive oil
French shallots
Garlic
Lemon (zest and juice)
Basil
Parsley
Capers
Beets
Salt and freshly ground pepper


Clean, tear and dry your kale. Toss with lemon rind, garlic, salt and oil. Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes until crisp.

Cook your beets however you prefer. I love roasting them until slightly tender. Mandolin slice.

Heat some olive oil in a pan. Drop your halloumi slices, grind some fresh pepper, fry until golden on one side. Flip. Add lemon zest + juice, capers, shallot. Cook for a minute or two. Add garlic, cook for another minutes until second side is golden. Plate. Add fresh herbs to remaining oil and lemon juice. Drizzle over beets and cheese.

Had a lovely prosecco with this. The only thing that could make this moment better would be a solid game of bocci with my glass in hand.

15 comments:

kaitlin said...

Roast and mandolin slice. How did I not consider the beets when I bought the mandolin??

Worth its weight in gold!

Kelly Rusk said...

This sounds amazing. I think I need to make this weekend. Never tried Halloumi before but keep here about it everywhere so I guess I'll have to try.

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

a solid game of bocci with glass in hand PLUS a snappy looking hat

Asha at beFOODled said...

Oh, this looks and sounds delicious! I like a cheese that stays true to itself after some intense cooking!

kirsten said...

I have cooked Halloumi on the BBQ (prevegan) it worked well. I love the colours on your dish.

Shine Little Light* said...

SALIVATING! YUM! *s*

annelise said...

Halloumi is the best cheese ever, in the history of the world :) Lightly fried and sprinkled with black pepper and drizzled with lemon juice. Doesn't get any better than that!

Mélodie said...

This looks so yummy. My garden is starting to give too and I love halloumi. Have you ever tried the Do ré mi ? The Qc version of halloumi. Easily found at IGA. Really good as well.

kimmeier said...

Looks fabulous! Beautiful garden-fresh colours.

mapledreams said...

Wow! It looks amazing..and sounds it too! xx

Linky said...

I've also planted beets this year... but how did you know they were ready to pick?!

Marysol said...

Wow, hi everyone! Didn't expect beets to get such a response!!

Anne, a hat. Of course. You need to come play with me, we'll be fabulous.

Mélodie, Iga is my friend too :)
Maybe we live on the same street...

Lynky, your beets will start showing, that is the trick! Your leaves will be long and you will see 'the veggie' come out from the ground, just saying a little hi! I'm ready!

Moonlight said...

Hey, Im Cypriot, I've been following your blog for a while, and I thought Haloumi (the cypriot chese) was a good opportunity to say hi! :)

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

Hi Marysol:

If you were on Twitter you would know we are all worshipping you right now and your kale chips. Plus other things. I have a prime rib on the BBQ and I took one kale leaf and did a wee bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and tucked it in for a few minutes. I LOVE KALE CHIPS THANKS TO MAYSOL! Yes, that is shouting.

Marysol said...

Oh Anne!!! Thanks for all this!

Twitter seems too techie for me. I have trouble opening the tv or dvd player. Really. I don't watch movies if my boyfriend is not home (unless I do it on my laptop) because I can't figure out the remotes.

Or I would feel overwhelmed by all the tweets, have a panic attack, and drop on the floor like a little bird.

;P

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License