Monday, December 14, 2009

Lima beans



These are the 'Ron' beans.
I have been wanting to do these for a few weeks now, ever since Ron Eade posted about it on his blog.

There were two 'odd' things that I loved when I was small: sardines and lima beans.
You could open a can of sardines and give me a fork + mustard and I was a-ok.
You could open a can of lima beans, heat them with butter and I was in heaven.
What an odd 5 year old.

My mother gave me this pressure cooker. It scares me like no other kitchen tool-gizmo.
I would be more at ease with a mini chainsaw (Simon knows I want a real one for Christmas... I've been asking for it for a few years now)

The pressure cooker is your friend Marysol.



I cooked the beans in it for 10 minutes, let it cool down for another 10. I saved myself the soaking and reduced the cooking time.

I then finished cooking the lima beans on the stove top using Ron's trick: chicken stock.
in the saucepan went white wine, chicken stock (or veg stock!), roasted red pepper, dried oregano, fresh thyme, black pepper. I added yellow beans during the last minutes of cooking. Once cooled, I added white wine vinegar, olive oil and a bit of salt.

I am so pleased at how these turned out! We will bring them to the family Christmas dinner...

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

You have got to be kidding me!? My husband has an obsession with chainsaws and even tho we have absolutely nothing to cut, I bought him one for his birthday a couple of years ago, just so he can now say he has one (he did actually end up finding stuff to cut). it must be a thing with people who love cooking. cooking and chainsaws go together like peanut butter and jam.

Marysol said...

This is hilarious.
I got a circular saw last year, although I was clearly excited, it still scares me a bit!

So you know exactly what it is to be my partner... Your husband and I are just about the same person!

Eva said...

a chainsaw sounds like so much fun! My favorite saw is the miter saw ... but the table saw scares me!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License